Subject Construction Projects
• Disturbs 1 acres or more of soil by grading, clearing, and/or excavating (excluding maintaining original line and grade or hydraulic capacity).
• Project must be covered under a General Construction Activity Storm Water Permit (GCASWP). This is a specific type of storm water NPDES permit issued by the State Water Resources Control Board and enforced by the Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board and the City.
• Developer/contractor must show evidence of having obtained a GCASWP before the City can issue a grading permit . Demonstrating evidence includes showing: (1) a Notice of Intent (NOI) to Comply with the Terms of the General Permit to Discharge Storm Water Associated with Construction Activity or Waste Discharge Identification number ; and (2) a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP).
• Developer/contractor must prepare a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) in accordance with State Water Resources Control Board Order No. 99-08/DWQ National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) General Permit No. CAS000002 — or any revision thereof. The City may allow the use of a Local Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (L-SWPPP) for projects less than 2 acres, depending on the type of project and its potential for discharging significant amounts of pollution to a receiving water body.
• City will inspect these construction sites at least once during the storm season (from October to May). Non-compliance could violate the federal Clean Water Act, the state’s water code, and the City’s runoff control ordinance.
Permit Application Information
State Water Resources Control Board
Division of Water Quality
Attn: Storm Water Unit
P.O Box 1977
Sacramento , CA 95812-1977
Telephone: (916) 657-0908
download GCASWP instructions and fact Sheet from